how do library web projects compare to commercial/academic w3 development?

sean dreilinger sean at durak.org
Wed Mar 3 07:22:20 EST 1999

i'm trying to familiarize myself with several facets of *library* web
projects. i have worked on all sorts of commercial and academic web
projects since 1995, but no libraries :-(

would the good people of web4lib care to peruse the (very brief!)
outline of web project elements below and help me consider points where
library web projects might differ? if you have stories to share about
your own library w3 project as it relates (or departs) from the outline
below i'd be very interested to know!

thanks very much, & greetings from sunny southern california!

--sean :-)

Cast and Crew
 [ the people involved in using and providing web-based information
services. ]
    the audience
    the critics
    content producers
    executive producers
    contractors and vendors
    the director (web admin/web maestro)

Process
 [ process used to guide a web project from concept to completion ]
    research
    design
    development
    testing
    marketing
    evaluation
    evolution

Technologies
 [ tools used to design develop serve and evaluate web projects ]
    web server software
    modules & middleware
    SQL databases
    add--on services
    high availability
    hardware & platform decisions
    network & hosting
    version control

Issues
 [ all the stuff they forgot to teach me in library school :-) ]
    expectations
    budget
    time
    design model