When do libraries mirror?

David Novak david at cn.net.au
Wed Mar 3 02:31:53 EST 1999

Afternoon,

I publish a subject guide to information research. It is big and good, and
I've introduced it before. As part of a move to distribute the information,
I have made it simple for libraries to mirror the information - and have
mirrors on several university libraries & university LIS school websites.

I am puzzled by this response. Is this type of mirroring condoned by the
public library establishment? Is this valued? Is mirroring considered
unnecessary?

Local html copies are much faster and more useful. I am also mindful that as
with most everything on the Internet, few clients or staff will find
information without assistance. Am I missing something?

Opinions appreciated,

David Novak
david at cn.net.au
Spire project - http://cn.net.au

---------- Background information ----------

The spire project concerns a guide to information research, and is released
as the Information Research FAQ, as free shareware, from the web and for
free publishing on other websites.

The Scout Report recently reviewed our work, writing: "a content-rich
subject guide to research ...  cover all possible information avenues ...
should appeal to educators and students alike."
   http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/report/bus-econ/1999/be-990114.html#7

Information on mirroring:
   http://cn.net.au/fi_host.html
InfoKey - the free shareware (personal) version, can be found at:
   http://cn.net.au/infokey_latest_version.zip   (360k)
   or through mirror sites - see http://cn.net.au/infokey.html
Mirroring sites include:
   Central Conneticut State University Library
         http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/spires/
   Curtin University - Dept of Information Studies
   University of Lyon, France - Information Sciences
   University of Arizona - School of Information Resources & Library Science