Filtered Internet Service Provider

Filtering Facts David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Wed Jan 28 22:14:42 EST 1998

Jamie "Newt" McCarthy wrote:

>What we're talking about is forcing internet service providers
>to purchase censorware and install it on one or more of their
>machines for their customers to use.  Key word:  "forcing."
>
>Currently, some ISPs choose to allocate their resources in this
>way and some do not.  Parents have the choice of whether they
>want to sign up with an ISP that does this, or not.  (AOL and
>Prodigy are examples of nationwide ISPs that have signed up to
>provide Cyber Patrol's filtering to their customers.)
>
>This rumored plan would end that;  it would be an unfunded
>mandate that would (through an intermediary) take dollars out of
>the parents' pockets and give them to censorware companies.
>Parents wouldn't have a choice about their involuntary financial
>support for censorware.  I'd like to let them keep that choice.
>--

"Unfunded Mandate"?  You're starting to sound like a conservative, Jamie. ;->

Are you against unfunded mandates on principle?  Like health insurance?
Worker safety?

We are forced by our government to give lots of financial support for things
that many of us don't personally support: abortions, atomic bombs, welfare,
aid to 3rd world dictators, etc., etc.  That's life in a democracy.

Seriously, how many, if any dollars is this going to take out of parent's
pockets?  ISPs currently offer filtered Internet at no or very low
additional cost.  The amount, if any that this will add to monthly bills
would almost certainly be insignificant.

David Burt, Filtering Facts, HTTP://WWW.FILTERINGFACTS.ORG
David_Burt at filteringfacts.org