Libweb milestone and Stats o' the Day revisited

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jan 28 20:34:25 EST 1998

--On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 1:36 PM -0800 "Thomas Dowling"
<tdowling at ohiolink.edu> wrote:

> SERVER BREAKDOWN:
>     SERVER                 SITES      PCT
>     Apache.................. 360    26.6%
>         Pre 1.0        6
>         1.0x          26
>         1.1x          71
>         1.2x         224

Since Apache is the most common one out there, it should be noted that there
were some serious security bugs in prior versions, including some of the
1.2.x series.  From the Apache home page (http://www.apache.org/):

   Apache 1.2.5 is now available. This is a maintenance release, with
   numerous bug fixes from 1.2.4, including a few security-related fixes.
   The 1.2 series has been well tested and is a stable platform. If you
   are running any beta of 1.2, or any older version of the Apache HTTP
   server, you should upgrade to this release for both stability and
   security reasons.

>     NCSA.................... 202    14.9%
>         pre 1.5       60
>         1.5x         142

NCSA's web server (http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/) notes:

   THE NCSA HTTPd IS NO LONGER UNDER DEVELOPMENT.  It is an unsupported
   product.  We recommend that you check out the Apache server, instead
   of installing our server.

There have been several security problems in previous versions, and since
the latest version is not being reviewed, there might be more in there that
we don't know about yet.

In short, you are not done when you finish installing the server.  Be sure
to keep up to date on further server developments...

Peter
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888