Access to Databases

Morven Fraser mfraser at faculty.wtamu.edu
Thu Jan 29 19:39:36 EST 1998

First of all, I'd like to offer my apologies if this happens to be a topic
that has already been discussed on this list and I'd like to warn you that
this is a cross posting.

My question:
We are having some trouble setting up access to library databases for our
distance education students.  The plan has been to set up access to
databases, using ip recognition rather than passwords. As such we are using
a proxy server that tricks the system into thinking that the students are
accessing the databases from a university Internet account.  (Naturally,
the students cannot use university Internet accounts since they are too far
away and would have to pay long distance charges while on-line).

Anyhow, here is the problem.  When the students access the databases using
the proxy the server is too heavily taxed and everything comes to a
grinding halt.

Is anyone on a campus using a proxy server to allow access to students and
how is it working for you?

Thanks in advance.

Morven Fraser
Reference/Distance Education Librarian
Cornette Library
West Texas A&M University
Canyon, Texas 79016
tel:(806)651-2212
email:morven.fraser at wtamu.edu

"Come, and take choice of all my library, / And so beguile thy sorrow."
						Titus Andonicus [IV.i.34]