[WEB4LIB] Cable Internet for library services

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Mon Dec 21 13:01:06 EST 1998

I don't have direct experience with this, but I have a suspicion.

Some communication technologies are asymmetrical - they have higher bandwidth
in one direction. I suspect that cable modem connections are optimized for
DOWNLOAD. That is, the equipment at the cable company is optimized at sending
OUT large quantities of data over the modem, as they would need to do to
support a typical user. However, a library's main function is as a provider (a
server) of content, and so most of its load would need to go "UP" the cable.

So I'm curious if anyone knows whether this is true, and if anyone using a
cable modem setup has tested bandwidth.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760