Cable Internet for library services

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Dec 19 08:46:02 EST 1998

For an upcoming column for American Libraries, I'd like to hear from
libraries that are using cable Internet for all or some of their Internet
services, including catalog and other tech services as well as the Web.

How long have you been connected?  How well is it working out?  Why use
cable?  Why NOT use cable?  If you are using more than one service (such as
cable for the Web and a dedicated 56k line for your catalog), what is your
rationale?  What else would you like to share with the library community
about using cable Internet for all or part of your Internet services?

The computers in our library, btw, have been fully networked with cable
Internet since July (via Time Warner Roadrunner) , including our catalog
services, and I'll report on all sides of what we've experienced.  My
working title is "When She Is Good, She Is Very, Very Good," to give you a
hint of my own take on this service.

If you respond to this request for information, include your name, title,
library or organization, and city, state & country (if not U.S.).  I'd like
to wrap up this article before Christmas Eve, so if you get this on the
24th, happy holidays and don't worry about replying!

By cable Internet, I mean the same or similar technology used for your
cable TV service... I'm clarifying this because someone wrote me earlier to
say, "yes, our computers are connected to the Internet with cables!"
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY...
Soon: Brunswick Community Library!
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield/