[WEB4LIB] Re: Cable Internet for library services

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Dec 21 15:35:22 EST 1998

Bob,

I was involved in some initial discussion of bringing "Broadband" cable
service into the library I previously worked at.  You are correct that the
upload and download bandwidths are different.  We were told that our
download would be the equivalent of a T-1 while the upload was around
300K.  Because we were not hosting our web site on-site, upload bandwidth
wasn't a big concern for us - it might be for a site that is.

Another consideration is cost.  The national cable provider association
recently (last 3 months) committed to providing free cable Internet access
to the public libraries in those communities with high speed cable
service.  They had already made that commitment for schools and in that
community, the local high school's Internet service was provided by the
cable company.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Charter Township of Waterford, MI