Packard Bell commmercial - The Last Word!

C. W. Tazewell cwt at exis.net
Wed Oct 30 15:11:56 EST 1996

Hey, You-all!
     There follows a copy of a Letter to Editor, "Puzzle to Muddle
- or Constructive Action?" with some background info on "libraries."
I may send a follow-up message with more detailed comment.  I am sure
that all of you will hold your breath in anticipation!
     The Letter to Editor was not published by the newspapwer.
     Anywhow:
          Librarians should take positive action about "PB."
          The Internet is a cultural revolution surpassing the
Industrial Revolution and the Space Program.
          Libraries should move their "Front Entrance" to the
Internet.  YOUR Library should be there for Internet access by all
the "PB" users.
          Each library should set up a regional/community/
metropolitan digital library.  (Yahoo Metro is beating you to it!)
          The Internet will become the main, primary source of
much/most information.
          Your mail, newspaper, and "magazines" will soon be
in a neat pile in a tray beside your "Internet Appliance" when
you get up in the morning.
          Internet Appliances will be free like beepers and
cellular telephones.  Everyone will have one with a fiber-optic
link to the Internet.  The Internet Appliance will be the heart
of the Entertainment, Work and Study Centers in homes and offices.
          By 2050 (who knows exactly when) most public libraries
and many schools will have become Community Centers with reading
rooms and reference desks.
          Librarians/Information Professionals will be even more
necessary.  When everyone is on the Internet, it must be simple,
convenient and easy.  Web surfing will be done by professionals
and knowledgeable hobbiests.
          The Internet must be adapted to the general public and
typical students.  It can't be any other way for Jack and Jill
and Little Joey.
          TV will be via the Internet.
          Books will be available in cheap 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 throw-
away printed form by download at home or at neighborhood Printer
Server Centers.
     Don't forget the Letter to Editor, below.
     More info can be found at the "Internet in 2000" Page:
          http://www.infi.net/~cwt/inet2000.html
          http://www.infi.net/~cwt/tva-plhp.html
                 Sm:)es,
                            Bill.
          Will print and libraries survive the Internet?
                 The Hampton Roads Central Library
             (You don't drive to it; you point to it.)
                Your *REASON* to have the Internet
Front Entrance                E A S Y   L I N K S - Your WWW Hotlist
http://wwwp.exis.net/~cwt/    http://www.infi.net/~cwt/easylink.html

Letter to Editor, The Virginian-Pilot

              Puzzle to Muddle - or Constructive Action?

     The rapid changes to our modern culture that are taking place must
be recognized, and suitable preparations made.  This situation applies to
all aspects of our life - government, public and private schools, higher
education, media, business, commerce and industry to name just a few.
     Shall we call it a cultural evolution - or revolution?  It will
bring changes probably even more drastic than the Industrial Revolution,
and the Ventures into Space.  And, we must bear in mind that an "Internet
Year" is about three weeks of our present reckoning of time - the
traditional year.
     And, the Hampton Roads Regional Community must work together in this
matter.  The changes taking place are focused on the Internet since it is
a driving force, and represents information.  The availablility and
exchange of information is a major factor in the cultural changes, and
its utilization gives a way to develop the accomodations that will be
required.
     There must be soon some sort of regional organization to include all
the agencies listed above in each Southeastern Tidewater Virginia City.
     The Internet is changing the way municipal and national boundaries
relate to our lives.  These boundaries will have different meanings and
purposes.  It is even more essential - urgent - that there be regional
coordination.
     The community/regional/metropolitan digital library is a key player
in these cultural changes.  Information and resources must be in a
central regional repository so that the overwhelming amount and scope can
be handled without having it duplicated in each city, school, and
existing library.  Any such duplication will be a waste of precious time
and money.  Nothing should be kept locally that can be accessed from a
central place.
     A vital part of the regional/community/metropolitan digital library
concept is tying local activities and resources in with the overwhelming
worldwide material.  Otherwise we could just access central worldwide
servers for much or most info.  But, if the regional/community/
metropolitan digital library does not provide the local data to the
world, it won't be available, and the area will suffer therefrom.
     Should a Hampton Roads Internet 2000 Committee or Council or
whatever be established?  Or is there an existing organization that can
handle the coordination, cooperation and planning for the immediate
future?
     Reflecting on the recent successful conference, "Transforming
Local Government," we need to consider seriously and constructively
"Tranforming Our Culture - Reinventing Our Lives."  The April 1996
conference laid the groundwork for municipal governments.  The first few
faltering steps have been taken in that regard.  Now, the concepts must
be expanded to the entire communities.  We must finish the job less it
"finish us."
     The program and agendas for the 1996 "Transforming Local Government"
now can apply in very many cases to a new April 1997 Conference,
"Transforming Our Culture - Reinventing Our Lives."  But, in the
meanwhile there must be close local coordination and cooperation by a
Committee or Council to handle urgent matters. A difficulty is that you
don't even have a clear picture of the problems until they are studied.
     The average person or student can't sit down at a computer connected
to the Internet and accomplish anything unless it is made easy and
convenient.  The kids at Ruffner Middle School in Norfolk can't "pilot
their own space ship to Mars" - they need to have a regional/community/
metropolitan digital library to take them there.
     One specific example of dozens is "The Internet and Local
Government" Agenda item "The Internet as a Powerful Economic Development
Tool."  In that one subject we are talking about money in the pockets of
all residents of Hampton Roads.  The "Global Commerce - World Trade
Section" of The Hampton Roads Central Library gives an idea of what's
available.
     We have a lot of people who don't like changes anyway, and many that
hope the Internet will just go away.  Then there are the threatened, and
there are many of them.
     We need to clarify future needs for workers and retrain as required
to relieve the fears of professional and skilled persons about having to
work in a fast-food place.
     Let's get to work - 2000 is about 3 1/2 traditional years away, and
is coming whether we like it or not!
     My lone cry from the wilderness is not enough.  We need to get the
leaders to guide the followers.

     Sincerely,

     C. W. Tazewell.

     July 5, 1996