Packard Bell commercial -Reply

Grace Agnew grace.agnew at ibid.library.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 30 17:42:21 EST 1996

I kinda like those commercials on NBC, featuring actors from hit series
sitting on a couch or in an armchair, talking to the viewing audience about
teachers they liked, staying in school, not driving and drinking, etc.  They
end with a rainbow and the words "the more you know..."  I keep hoping they
would feature an actor talking about being overwhelmed by the 'Net and going
to the library and getting help or just talking about the wealth of services
at the library.  The ads are engaging and aimed at the teens and
20-somethings--those who will sson be paying the tax bills that support us.
I think ALA should pitch an ad to those folks, along the lines that the
library is not for dorks, or whatever, using whatever star is most appealing
and "cool" to that age group.

Grace

t 01:27 PM 10/30/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>...  What is really
>>needed is a good marketing campaign for libraries on the same
>>level as marketing campaigns for computers.  Maybe we could
>>get ALA to ditch its dreary  "Read" campaign and spend money
>>on, say, a  commercial showing someone rapidly losing hair while
>>trying to search the Internet, followed by a visit to the Good
>>Angel Librarian
>
>I agree 100 percent.  I will be the first to send $5 to that ad campaign!
>That "visit" to the librarian could take place physically, online, or
>through videoconferencing.
>
>Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
>Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
>Dept. of Educational Technology
>San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
>e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
>http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired

Grace Agnew
Assistant Director for Systems
Georgia Insititute of Technology Library
(404) 894-8932
(404) 894-6084 (fax)
grace.agnew at library.gatech.edu