Proquest archival newspapers - self hosting?

Ian Ibbotson ian.ibbotson at K-INT.COM
Thu Jan 7 01:43:05 EST 2016

Fair warning -- I'm one of the devs on this -- but I wonder if Jisc would
be interested in offering up historical texts platform (
https://www.jisc.ac.uk/historical-texts) for this? I think the platform
itself carries an open license, but the real investment is in the content
and the [maintenance of] storage and indexing infrastructure to make all
this work together well. Just a thought, cc'd Scott Gibbens at Jisc in case
he has any thoughts!

Ian.

Ian Ibbotson
Director
Knowledge Integration Ltd
35 Paradise Street, Sheffield. S3 8PZ
T: 0114 273 8271
M: 07968 794 630
W: http://www.k-int.com

On 7 January 2016 at 01:35, Stacy Pober <stacy.pober at manhattan.edu> wrote:

> Proquest is now providing us with files of the archival newspapers we
> purchased from them.  They say that there are no libraries that are
> self-hosting access to this data, and predicted that the cost of creating a
> platform to search the metadata and deliver the TIFFs would be costly.
>
> I've attached their metadata sample file.  Does anyone have suggestions on
> the software we could use to provide access to this material?  We'd prefer
> an open-source solution.  The reason we are not paying the platform fees
> for this material is because they got very little use. We can't justify
> spending funds on a proprietary software solution for this, because the
> material is not in great demand at our library.
>
> --
> Stacy Pober
> Information Alchemist
> Manhattan College Library