website options

Shannon E. Fox sfox at AUSTINCOLLEGE.EDU
Mon Sep 28 19:53:38 EDT 2015

A year later we still have not solved our dilemma of what to do for the next iteration of our academic library website. If we migrate to the college website WordPress-based CMS, we lose functionality that we prefer to keep. Hosting solutions are too expensive for our tight budget. We prefer not to rent Dreamweaver from Adobe Cloud. I began looking at open source solutions besides Drupal and similar ones that require technology our IT department is unwilling to support (PHP, ASP.net, etc.) on the webserver they host for us (java is okay on it  but not in the WordPress CMS). I see that there are numerous open source and low-cost alternatives and the selection is overwhelming. Has anyone on this list employed a low cost html editor or responsive design software package to create/maintain an academic library website? I have an old version of Dreamweaver that is becoming "glitchy" and I prefer to redesign our website with modern coding and responsive design.

Shannon Fox-Teichmann
Coordinator of Electronic Services & Collections

Austin College | Abell Library Center
900 N. Grand Avenue, Suite 6L
Sherman, TX  75090-4400
Phone 903.813.2559 Cell 903.267.2424