adding Skype, web cams and a facility to download music to public internet PCs

Teresa Ashley libr12 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 4 09:04:41 EDT 2015

Skype has been used by the College for job interviews when it was more
cost-effective than having a candidate fly in.

Students have requested Skype access at our libraries to confer with their
professors.  One student had an assignment what seemed to require Skype,
but I don't recall the details.  I know we were all surprised at the
request.

I would imagine students could use Skype for oral presentations if they are
unable to get to class and do not have internet access from home.

The issue for us in our library is noise.  Many of our students require
complete silence and any kind of chat would probably draw complaints.
However, I was surprised to find that several college libraries have
installed cell phone booths.  These don't take up much space and are
"almost completely sound proof."

"The Phone Booth Is Back -- Minus the Phone."  *Fox News*. 4 Dec. 2004.
Reports "restaurants and libraries across the country are installing cell-
phone booths to give Americans peace from annoying chatter — and the
privacy to make a call."

Middlebury College <http://sites.middlebury.edu/lis/tag/library-spaces/>

Bentley University Library
<http://library.bentley.edu/roomsandspaces/cellphonebooths.asp>

Montclair Art Museum and Bloomfield College Library
<https://www.montclairartmuseum.org/content/bloomfield-avenue-hotline>

San Diego Mesa College <http://www.sdmesa.edu/students/lrc/audiovisual/> -
there are* 5 booths *with video playback equipment (doesn't say they are
repurposed phone booths, but they could be)

UMass Amherst Libraries have cell phone booths (see directory of services
<http://www.library.umass.edu/services/> and floor directory
<http://wwq.library.umass.edu/about-the-libraries/floor-directories/>)

Skirboll, Aaron."Enjoy the Silence."  *The Morning News
<http://www.themorningnews.org/article/enjoy-the-silence>*. N.d. - *Love*
the graphic.

Phone booths could be set up for recording and Skyping.

Teresa Ashley

Teresa K. Ashley, Faculty, Librarian (Professor)
Northridge Campus Library
Austin Community College
11928 Stonehollow Drive, Austin, TX 78758-3101
512.223.4742 | tashley (at) austincc (dot) edu

--

::-:: Teresa Ashley  ::-::  libr12 (at) gmail (dot) com