University of Alabama Libraries joins the Open Preservation Foundation

Becky McGuinness becky at OPENPRESERVATION.ORG
Wed Sep 2 07:04:13 EDT 2015

The Open Preservation Foundation is delighted to welcome The University of
Alabama Libraries as our latest charter member.

The University of Alabama (UA) Libraries supports academic, research, and
service programs with a variety of creative, innovative, and practical
resources designed to meet the needs of a growing, dynamic campus.

UA Libraries is widely recognized for their innovative services and quality
reference materials. A system of five separate discipline-related
libraries, the Libraries provides both traditional print collections and
cutting-edge technology for students and faculty to conduct research and
enhance their educational experience.

The UA Libraries digitally preserves collections of rare and unique
research resources housed in the Libraries’ Division of Special Collections.

The University of Alabama Libraries is interested in digital preservation
of both digitized and born digital special collections, university records,
and research data,” explained Jody DeRidder, Head of Metadata and Digital
Services, UA Libraries.

OPF is a leader in this area and by joining OPF we believe we will be able
to leverage the collective wisdom of the OPF community. Additionally, OPF’s
stewardship of important digital preservation-related tools such as JHOVE
is extremely important for digital preservationists and we wanted to help
support these efforts,” said Edward Corrado, Associate Dean, Library
Technology Planning and Policy, UA Libraries.

We are very pleased to welcome The University of Alabama Libraries to our
membership,” comments Ed Fay, Executive Director of OPF. “They have a
unique digital collection and have been developing digital preservation
practices for some time. Their knowledge and experience will enhance the
shared activities of our members and we look forward to collaborating with
them”.

UA Libraries joins OPF members from archives, libraries, research
institutions, universities, and service providers collaborating on shared
solutions for effective and efficient digital preservation.

For more information about The University of Alabama Libraries visit:
https://www.lib.ua.edu/.

To find out more about the benefits of becoming an OPF member and how to
join visit: http://openpreservation.org/about/join/.

--
Becky McGuinness | Community Manager
@openpreserve | Skype: becky.mcguinness1