Intranet expertise

apgagne at ROCHESTER.RR.COM apgagne at ROCHESTER.RR.COM
Wed Oct 28 15:35:13 EDT 2015

Dear Ms. Alvaré:

	On 10/27/2015 1:03 PM, Alvare, Luz Marina (IFPRI) wrote:

> We are seeking your help.  The Library and Knowledge Management Unit at
> IFPRI is responsible for the Intranet and we are looking for an intranet
> expert who is platform agnostic to guide us through 1) defining goals
> and objectives; 2) Determine the content to be included; 3) Define the
> structure; 4) Identify the best platform that meets IFPRI's needs.
> Please let me know if you have any recommendations or contacts that
> might be interested.

	I am interested.

> Have you gone through this process for your organization?

	Yes, I did this from 1998 through 2002, when I was the Librarian--the
only librarian--at the Technical Resource Center at ALSTOM Signaling in
Rochester, New York.  ALSTOM Signaling is a manufacturer of railroad
signals and railroad control systems with accounts all over the world.
The Technical Resource Center was an engineering- and
technology-oriented library whose customers were the engineers and
project managers at the ALSTOM Signaling engineering and manufacturing
facilities in Rochester, New York.  (When I was there, the number of
employees varied between 500 and 600 employees.)  The Technical Resource
Center had its own intranet site, on which the library created an
on-line catalog of its collection and provided various other customized
on-line resources that the library created to meet specific information
needs of its in-house customers.  In a number of cases, these customized
on-line resources were developed to make it easier for employees to
share the specialized knowledge that many of them had.

> If you are also responsible for the intranet of an organization will mind to
> contact me?

	I no longer work at ALSTOM Signaling, but when I was working there, I
was a Web/intranet developer as well as a librarian, and I was the
person who set up and maintained the library's intranet.

> I will like to see what areas I should keep in mind to do
> so and what services should be the best to maintain and focus on.

	I would very much enjoy being able to do this.  Is this a job opportunity?

> Thank you for helping out on this.
>
> *Luz Marina Alvaré **|*Head,Knowledge Management *|*International Food
> Policy Research Institute

	Thank you for this announcement.

Sincerely,

Andro P. Gagné, M.D., M.P.H., M.L.S.