free anti-virus software

T. R. Valentine trvalentine at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 27 10:48:44 EST 2015

On 27 November 2015 at 08:30, John Fitzgibbon
<jfitzgibbon at galwaylibrary.ie> wrote:

> We are considering the use of free anti-virus software on our public PCs. Is
> there any solution out there that works well?
>
> We use Deep Freeze on all of our public computers. I presume anti-virus is
> still necessary; I suspect a computer can get infected within a few short
> minutes.

Both libraries where I work use Deep Freeze. One uses Faronic's
Anti-Virus. I'm not a big fan of it, but it seems okay. The other uses
Avast's free to libraries and schools. I'm happier with it. Neither
can update a frozen PC.

> Each morning, we thaw Deep Freeze and manually update the anti virus dat
> file. Is there a better approach?

Yes, what John Lolis wrote. Use Deep Freeze's configuration to
automate the process. It is very similar to the process for automating
Windows Updates. Work smart: use the tools available to you to
automate processes whenever possible.

--
T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.