free anti-virus software

Lolis, John jlolis at WHITEPLAINSNY.GOV
Fri Nov 27 10:28:47 EST 2015

While we have an enterprise license for McAfee (with which I'm not exactly
enamored), I've used AVG's free antivirus protection on my home computer
and was quite pleased with it.

Regarding Deep Freeze... I shudder at the thought of having to thaw the
systems and update the antivirus dat files manually each day (being a
municipal public library, the city's IT dept has the license for the
enterprise management console, so I can't centrally manage the AV
software).  In any case, I have our Deep Freeze config set to thaw the
systems on a nightly schedule, and have our AV software update schedule
coincident with that Deep Freeze thaw schedule.

Another suggestion (which I've yet to try myself) is to repartition the
drive, creating a rather small partition that will be excluded from being
frozen (according to Faronics' tech support, it's better performance-wise
to do this rather than to have the Deep Freeze config create a thawspace
partition).  Using the GroupPolicy and/or permissions, protect that drive
from being accessed by patrons.  Then check to see where the antivirus dat
files are stored by the AV software and either change the settings for the
AV software so that the dat files are stored in the "unfrozen" partition or
use the Windows mklink command to create the equivalent of a Linux symbolic
link such that the AV software's appdata directory is linked to the
unfrozen partition.  There's the outside chance that simply installing the
AV software to that partition will be all that you need to do if whatever
AV software you use stores its dat files somewhere with its program files
(which is not a good practice).

I suspect that this would be a better solution to the one we're currently
using, if for no other reason than power consumption and all those systems
downloading dat files around the same time.

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems
White Plains Public Library
100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

http://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I
go into the other room and read a book.*     Groucho Marx