Hiring Web Designer/Developer at University of Arizona!

Blakiston, Rebecca L - (blakisto) blakisto at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon May 11 19:17:16 EDT 2015

(Sorry for cross-posting...)

We love making library websites better. Come to the University of Arizona Libraries and join in the fun!

Apply by May 15th, and pass along to others who might be interested: http://www.uacareertrack.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=216269

POSITION TITLE:               WEB SITE DESIGNER / DEVELOPER, SENIOR
DEPARTMENT:                 The University of Arizona, University Libraries, User Experience Department (UX)
HOURS:                                40 Hours/Week (Mon.-Fri. 8 am-5 pm)

POSITION SUMMARY:
We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual who is passionate about user-centered design and interested in being part of a dynamic, collaborative environment at a large academic library.

The University of Arizona Libraries is a vibrant, forward-looking organization with a talented staff that has recently taken great strides in moving our web initiatives forward. We often collaborate with other units on campus, and are recognized as being innovative in the areas of user-focused design and development, content strategy, and automated testing. We aim to lead the library community in groundbreaking, transformative, intuitive design.

We are dedicated to supporting the success of our faculty, students and staff. Our websites also appeal to the broader community, both locally and internationally, as we share our unique digital collections with the world.

As a part of the library's web team, you will design useful, usable and accessible web products. The team will support you in this by providing an agile workflow (currently based on Kanban) and foundational tools (Redmine for issue tracking, Git and Subversion for version control), and you will have the opportunity to contribute to this framework. You will also be involved in user research, process development and improvement, and communication with stakeholders.

Along with the foundational tools mentioned above, our team uses a number of advanced tools, including a CSS preprocessor (Sass), a deployment tool (Phing), a frontend task runner (Gulp), and a style guide tool (Pattern Lab), among others. We do not expect you to know these things coming in, but to be excited to learn about them (we still are!).

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

A.      Supports the Libraries' websites and web content (80%):

*         Leads the design process for websites, digital exhibits and custom web applications.

*         Provides visual design support throughout the product life cycle.

*         Creates usable, aesthetically pleasing interfaces using standards-compliant HTML and CSS.

*         Creates original graphics for web sites.

*         Researches, learns and adopts new design and front-end development tools and techniques as appropriate to help the Libraries continue delivering high-quality, maintainable products.

*         Isolates, identifies, articulates and resolves frontend problems.

*         Performs testing and debugging.

*         Understands and applies the principles of user-centered design.

*         Helps to establish design best practices.

*         Applies principles of usability and accessibility to all design and development.

*         Assists with maintenance of and improvements to the Libraries' web products.

B.      User Experience department (UX) duties (20%):

*         Stays up-to-date with new developments in the field in order to inform the team and the Libraries on issues affecting the team's work.

*         Provides backup as assigned for library systems and services.

*         Participates in UX department activities.

*         Consistently follows and helps to establish team best practices.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

*         Five years of progressively responsible web site design and development experience,

*         OR, an associate's degree in a related field and four years of web site design and development experience,

*         OR, a bachelor's degree in a related field and two years of web site design and development experience,

*         OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.

ADDITIONAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

*         Proficiency in HTML and CSS.

*         Familiarity with JavaScript.

*         Demonstrated evidence of experience designing responsive websites.

*         Enthusiasm in learning about design and frontend development.

*         Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate and work with diverse faculty, staff and students.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

*         Significant experience with Drupal 6 or above site administration and module or theme development.

*         Experience with the command line in Unix-like systems (e.g., OS X, Linux).

*         Demonstrated experience with version control systems (e.g., Git, Subversion).

*         Demonstrated proficiency with client-side technologies, such as JavaScript, AJAX and JQuery.

*         Understanding of Section 508 / WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines.

*         Knowledge of browser compatibility issues and current web standards.

*         Working knowledge of PHP 5.3 or above.

*         Ability to follow and help to establish team best practices.

Salary/Benefits:  $47,059-$62,830 annually, plus an outstanding array of benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability programs; state retirement, and pre-tax savings programs; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for employee & qualified family members; paid holidays, vacation, sick and professional leave; child care and other life/work resources; wellness programs; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more.

Open/Close Dates: Posted: 5/5/15.  Closes: Midnight of 5/15/15.

How to Apply:  Go to The University of Arizona's CareerTrack application system at http://www.uacareertrack.com/ and find Job #58332<http://www.uacareertrack.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=216269>.  Completely fill in a classified staff application form, and be prepared to attach a resume and letter of interest where indicated.  The letter of interest should describe how your experience and qualifications are fitting for this position AND, provide the URL for your design portfolio. If you are unable to provide a URL as indicated above, please submit examples from your design portfolio in the space for "Writing Sample 1." Application materials mailed/emailed to the department will not be accepted.  The UA conducts pre-employment screenings for all positions, including work history, academic, criminal and driver's license checks.  For questions regarding The UA CareerTrack system contact: 520-621-3662; TDD 621-8299 (M-F 8-5).

As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, the University of Arizona recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences and backgrounds.  The University of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer-M/W/D/V.

Rebecca Blakiston
Associate Librarian | User Experience
University of Arizona Libraries
blakisto at email.arizona.edu<mailto:blakisto at email.arizona.edu>