equal access and email authed user accts

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at ANAHEIM.NET
Fri Mar 13 14:48:20 EDT 2015

We encounter this all the time when people are applying for jobs online. I have had more than one person stop what they are dining, open a new tab, and create a gmail account for themselves. I also hand them a piece of paper and instruct them to write down their email address and their password. Sometimes they don't and I wonder what they think is going to happen next.

Thomas Edelblute
Library Technology Systems Administrator
Anaheim Public Library

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Chris Evjy
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 1:22 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] equal access and email authed user accts

Here's an interesting question for your Fridays.

We're a public library system that holds equal access as a core value. Of course.

The standard method for authenticating and verifying user accounts on the Web is by using an email address.

Not everyone has an email address. Conflict. We're opening a gap in our service that we need to address.

  *   How do you deal with patrons that don't have an email address when certain services require them to have one?
  *   Have you dealt with this intentionally?
  *   How have you empowered your front-line staff to bridge this gap for people?
We're beginning to navigate this conflict with regard to a summer reading web application we are building and wanted to check in to see if anyone had any insight into handling this disparity.

Thanks,
Chris

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-03-13

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-03-13

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.