password protected ebook access

DREW, WILFRED E JR CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RIOSI wilfred.drew.ctr at US.AF.MIL
Thu Mar 12 14:05:26 EDT 2015

You should NOT use a system that uses the same username/password for all patrons.  Each patron should have their own username password.

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Chris Magnusson
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:48 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] password protected ebook access

I am part of a multi-type library consortium consisting of public, school, academic and even a special museum library.  We are just starting to explore developing eBook collections that would require our patrons to know a system wide user name and password to access the resources.

That isn't a problem for the schools and academics to share that type of information with their students, but how do we share it with our public library patrons, without sharing it with the world?

Has anyone developed a way to do this?

Chris Magnusson
Arrowhead Library System
Mountain Iron, Minnesota