Bad "scholarly article" needed for information literacy classes

Nancy Bellafante nbellafante at DCCC.EDU
Tue Mar 10 09:05:26 EDT 2015

Stacy,
Have you explored Retraction Watch?...many examples of retracted
scholarly papers:
http://retractionwatch.com

The blog has a "Best of" category:
http://retractionwatch.com/category/best-of-retractions

Best,
Nancy

Nancy Bellafante
Reference Librarian
Liaison for Communication, Arts, & Humanities
Calendar
( http://tinyurl.com/dccccalendar)  |  CAH Newsletter
( http://bit.ly/cahnewsletter)

Delaware County Community College
Learning Commons, Marple Campus, Room 4574
610-359-5249 direct
610-359-5272 fax
>>> John M Hubbard <hubbardj at UWM.EDU> 3/9/2015 7:21 PM >>>

10-15 years ago it was all the rage for librarians--who arguably felt
threatened by the web--to point at silly and dubious websites (the Nazi
MLK site being the most famous example). This unfortunately promoted a
more binary way of thinking about trustworthy and non-trustworthy
sources than is warranted, so it's nice to see this question being asked
about bad scholarly articles.
There's been research fraud published in almost all scientific
disciplines (global warming, cloning, cold fusion), driven by those with
an axe to grind or researchers who fall under the pressure to find
something publishable other than negative results. Recent cases
involving Chris Kyle and Brian Williams are other non-scholarly
examples.
I'm not sure these exactly fit the "unintentionally bad grammar" rule,
but I would nominate two articles as worth a look:
http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/transgress_v2/transgress_v2_singlefile.html
Written in jest as by a physicist as a "sting" against the vernacular
of social science, and accepted by a peer-reviewed Sociology journal.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9500320
Flashpoint for the anti-vax movement. That's a lot more serious than
people believing there was a $250 cookie recipe.
More info is available here:
http://liswiki.org/wiki/Hoax_sites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Replies_to_common_objections#Quality_of_other_sources
Regards,
John
--
John Hubbard
Web Services and Electronic Resources Coordinator