What do you call your discovery search engine?

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at EDGEWOOD.EDU
Wed Jun 17 11:00:55 EDT 2015

I do agree with the point that having a custom name doesn’t help usability.  But one thought we had was that perhaps giving it a specific type of name (like OneSearch, MegaSearch, etc.) indicates they’re searching many databases at once.

Perhaps going with something like “Library Search” as your library is doing Erin, makes more sense.  Good stuff for our team to think about.  Thanks everyone.

- Jonathan

--
Jonathan Bloy
Librarian, Head of Digital Initiatives
Edgewood College
Madison, Wisconsin
http://library.edgewood.edu

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Erin White
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:03 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] What do you call your discovery search engine?

In total agreement with Amy. At VCU we decided that naming things doesn't really help usability and seems kind of old-school. We call ours search, or VCU Libraries Search if we are feeling fancy. Some of our instruction librarians call it "the big yellow search box on the homepage."

--
Erin White
Web Systems Librarian, VCU Libraries