Weeding Content on Library Website

Pruntel,Alison Alison.Pruntel at FAUQUIERCOUNTY.GOV
Wed Jul 29 12:39:52 EDT 2015

***Apologies in advance, this has been posted on several listservs***

Hello all,

Our website (http://fauquierlibrary.org/) uses WordPress as a CMS. We post content (book reviews, info. about authors, etc.) to the site several times a week, and all of our posts end up on http://fauquierlibrary.org/library-updates/ -- for browsing; otherwise you can just search the site for a topic and any related posts would hopefully show up in the results.

We are trying to come up with some guidelines on when to remove posts that are past their shelf life.

For those of you who post to your site/have ongoing updates, do you weed out content that is no longer relevant? What criteria do you use to weed out, i.e., info. about a particular program/event that has passed, do you keep up X months after just in case? I'm thinking our book lists/staff recommendations, etc., would stay indefinitely, but a post recapping a teen program could probably go.

We never worried about this in the past, when we had a static website. We were just using Blogger to post dynamic/timely content (which was linked to from our static website), but now that all content is published on our site, need to rethink that.

Thanks in advance for responding,

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library