Amazon EC2, Azure, Google Compute for web hosting

Cary Gordon listuser at CHILLCO.COM
Fri Jan 2 22:52:17 EST 2015

We use AWS for our infrastructure. After four years of watching, evaluating and testing, we migrated our data centers in 2011, and are very pleased with the results.

You may certainly host Wordpress or Omeka or any other internet-based software on AWS. Understand that AWS does not provide direct support for applications, but many folks do. I am also not a big fan of using paid of free application images, although some of them might offer support. We generally use AWS Linux — pretty much a well supported CentOS variant — for most projects. The latest version supports Docker, which we use.

AWS has a great suite of deployment and management tools.

We have become AWS Consulting Partners.

So to answer your questions:
We are currently using AWS paid support, but it would be a marginal value for limited use. It would be cheaper for you to have us host it, and we would offer more comprehensive support.
We manage a lot of servers and services, but we employ a lot of automated services including monitoring, testing and deployment, so the staff load is relatively low.
As I mentioned, these are not a great fit for us and result in too much platform sprawl.
Recommendations
Invest time in fully reading the documentation and training manuals, and creating test deployments.
Do not commit to a reservation until you are certain that you will fully use it on one hand, and not outgrow it in the reservation period.
On the same point, use one year reservations for anything larger than the smallest servers as AWS has a (great) habit of offering new options that are usually faster and cheaper.
Use as much of the full suite as possible, including their Route53 DNS. This will make your system much more flexible in case you need to scale a service.
Alternatively, consider hiring us, We could manage your systems, train you, or both.
Thanks,

Cary