granting access by the public to USB ports

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at GALWAYLIBRARY.IE
Mon Aug 10 09:20:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

At present, we do not give the public access to the USB ports of our public PCs. We are now in the process of drawing up a library development plan which will cover the next five years and we are looking at this policy in the light of recent technological developments. As far as I know, with most e-book readers, it is possible to download  e-books wirelessly; a USB connection is not needed. However, many MP3 players and cameras are not able to connect to a PC or to the Internet wirelessly.

If we grant access to the USB ports of our PCs we would probably have to password protect the boot-up process, otherwise people will be able to boot up the PC from a USB pen. Are there any workarounds for this difficulty?

Is it best for us to leave well enough alone?

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards
John

John Fitzgibbon
Executive Librarian

w: www.galwaylibrary.ie

This e-mail message has been scanned for content and cleared by MailMarshal Hosted at Galway County Council
Is é MailMarshal, Arna Óstáil ag Comhairle Contae na Gaillimhe,
a rinne an teachtaireacht ríomhphoist seo a scanadh agus a ghlanadh ó thaobh ábhair de.

Correspondence is welcome in Irish or in English.
Tá míle fáilte roimh chomhfhreagras i nGaeilge nó i mBéarla.

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo agus in aon iatán a ghabhann leis
agus is don seolaí amháin é. Mura seolaí thú,
níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán a ghabhann leis a léamh,
a chóipeáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad, cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas trí ríomhphost a sheoladh ar ais
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is private and confidential
and is intended for the addressee only.
If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised to read,
copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.

If you need this email in an alternative format please contact the sender
Má tá an ríomhphost seo ag teastáil uait i bhformáid eile téigh i dteagmháil leis an duine a sheol chugat é

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-08-10