Discovery service guest access

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at EDGEWOOD.EDU
Wed Aug 5 10:50:55 EDT 2015

Those of you in academic libraries that have a discovery service, do you allow "guest" access (so anyone can search using the discovery engine without authenticating)?

We've just started using a discovery service (EDS) and there is some debate about whether we should allow guest access or not.  On our website, the discovery search box has basically replaced the search box for our catalog.  My contention is, if we're featuring it so prominently on our website we should allow anyone to use it.

--
Jonathan Bloy
Librarian, Head of Digital Initiatives