Adaptive/Assistive Software on Library Machines

Judy Daniluk jdaniluk777 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 24 18:44:54 EDT 2014

(I'm posting this for a colleague that doesn't have access to this
listserv.  If you want to reply, you can contact her at the email address
she gives at the end of the message ).

A few years ago I coordinated a couple of grant projects (see
http://nottypical.org/accessibility) which, among other things, helped
determine what Universal Access services worked best in a sample group of
public libraries, which were found to be inappropriate, and why. Funded by
our State Library and IMLS, the projects ultimately involved 13 different
public libraries serving various community sizes in urban, suburban and
rural North Texas.

The link I provided above will provide more in-depth details about the
project, what each library did with its funds, which ones offered
Accessibility Fairs in their communities to help "show off" the new
services (plus the toolkit used for putting those Fairs together), what
items were purchased by which libraries (so that other library personnel
could contact the library directors with requests for critiques of the
products/vendors, etc. The data has not been updated recently, and the site
is no longer being maintained, but most of the information is still useful,
IMO.

I'm passionate about Universal Design, Universal Access and public
libraries, so I'm in the process of developing several blog posts on those
combined topics. The first four of those provide answers to many of your
questions and are available at
​
http://elephantinthelibrary.com/ . The articles are about the following
topics.

   - Assistive Technology for public libraries vs what’s intended for
   individual use
   - Assistive Technology hardware / software recommendations for public
   libraries
   - Large print keyboards & keyboard overlays (gum-backed stickers for
   each key)
   - Assistive Technology (AT) meets 3-D printing

 Please feel free to contact me​ at dweisman [at] elephantinthelibrary
[dot] com​
if you have questions about any of what I've shared or if you can suggest
additional UA/Libraries-related topics.

Judy Daniluk
jdaniluk777 at gmail.com

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Brian Rogers <brian-rogers at utc.edu> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Does anyone provide adaptive/assistive software (JAWS, Kurzweil, Zoom
> Text, etc) on their library machines, in conjunction with imaging or
> deployment solutions?
>
> Have some general questions about the experience.
>
> Thanks,
> - Brian Rogers

> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2014-09-22