Adaptive/Assistive Software on Library Machines

McGarvey, Nancy mcgarvey.n at GMERCYU.EDU
Tue Sep 23 10:23:54 EDT 2014

We received a grant about 6 years ago to buy assistive technology,
equipment to be stored in the library since we were best able to handle the
circulation of it.  We have 3 laptops with ZoomText.  To the best of my
knowledge none has ever been used (or even requested) by students who might
need it.  In the meantime, every time our IT department re-images the
laptops there's a scurry to find the software for the ZoomText and get it
installed properly so that it doesn't come on automatically for everyone!
(those laptops circulate to the general student population as well).

As far as I can tell ZoomText does do what it should--enlarges the
information on the screen for those with visual needs, and it also has a
text reader.  Either can be turned on/off individually so you can have the
enlarged text without speech, speech without enlarged text, or neither or
both.

In order to borrow the laptop to use as assistive technology the student
would have to register with our Disabilities Office and present appropriate
documentation to us.  We thought the record-keeping might be difficult, but
since no one has requested them, it's been pretty easy!

Nancy

Nancy B. McGarvey, Assistant Director
Systems/Serials/Reference Librarian
Keiss Library and Learning Commons
Gwynedd Mercy University
1325 Sumneytown Pike
PO Box 901
Gwynedd Valley PA 19437-0901
email: mcgarvey.n at gmercyu.edu
V:  215-646-7300 x21493
F:  215-641-5596

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Brian Rogers <brian-rogers at utc.edu> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Does anyone provide adaptive/assistive software (JAWS, Kurzweil, Zoom
> Text, etc) on their library machines, in conjunction with imaging or
> deployment solutions?
>
> Have some general questions about the experience.
>
> Thanks,
> - Brian Rogers

> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2014-09-22