CMS Selection

Degler, Roy roy.degler at OKSTATE.EDU
Tue Sep 23 18:29:46 EDT 2014

There are a few sites that install many CMS's for people to test out.

Here are two I have used
   http://www.opensourcecms.com
   https://www.softaculous.com/demos

A few things to consider
   Does it make sense to you and offer a workflow matching yours?
    How easy is it to customize(templates and functionality)?
     How well is it supported (community size and supporting organization)?
     How secure is it?
     Does it work on your hosting environment?

I choose Modx for my CMS.

   Looks like windows explorer showing web structure on the left and stuff being edited on the right. Easy for newbies.
   Easy to create templates, html-based with simple template tags to add menus, content, etc. functionality is strong needs 3-5 plug ins max for most sites.
    While it is open source a for profit company manages/supports it. Good support community.
    Secure as people's livelihoods depend on it. One of the default dashboard elements is security info.
     Php and MySQL based. Most shared hosting supports it as is. Some require turning off the compress css/js.

Roy