Link Resolver icon wording

Braun Hamilton, Michael R Michael.BraunHamilton at CCV.EDU
Wed May 14 15:42:18 EDT 2014

We have a lot of EBSCO databases, and since the link resolver button displays where EBSCO otherwise displays links to Full Text, I  recently replaced our old “Find it @...” link resolver button in these databases with one that says “Find Full Text” and is styled to look like EBSCO’s Full Text links.

Here’s a screenshot showing 2 results – one where EBSCO has the full text available and one that links out to the link resolver - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/772340/EBSCO_icons.png

With the caveat that I have neither done any usability testing nor gotten any feedback from anyone since I changed it, I hope that at least it looks more obvious to click on now. (Whether students can navigate the link resolver it links out to is another story, of course.)

-Michael

___

Michael Braun Hamilton
Web Services Librarian
Hartness Library
Community College of Vermont
(802) 828-0125
michael.braunhamilton at ccv.edu<mailto:michael.braunhamilton at ccv.edu>
****************************
PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email received in error is prohibited.

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at listserv.nd.edu] On Behalf Of Blakiston, Rebecca L - (blakisto)
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:33 PM
To: WEB4LIB at listserv.nd.edu
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Link Resolver icon wording

I sympathize with this struggle and hope someone responds with a good answer and some usability testing studies! I have seen in observation of users that it is often unclear where to go to find the full text if there isn’t a direct link. In some cases, users will click on the “library catalog” link rather than the link resolver, usually because that’s the first link.

Here, we used to have an icon that said “Article Linker” and this didn’t resonate well. Then we changed it to say, “Get Article,” which is a bit better but still not that intuitive, especially since it doesn’t always get you the article, and because it’s not even always an article! (Ebooks, for example). In both cases we tried to make it look like a button – a clear call to action. This hasn’t seemed to help much.

What we’re going to try next is “Check for full text,” as mentioned below. From a usability standpoint, I’d venture to guess this is the best option – it’s much clearer what will actually happen when you select that link. Ideally, your link resolver page then matches the same language so the user knows they are in the right place (this is another usability problem I’ve seen – some link resolver pages are problematic & once you’re there it’s difficult to know what to do next).

Haven’t done any real testing of this, though. Sounds like it would be a great candidate for multivariate testing if someone could figure out how to run that sort of test and get meaningful results…

Rebecca

Rebecca Blakiston
Website Product Manager
User Experience and Engagement Librarian
University of Arizona Libraries
@blakistonr