Libguides and UX

Wiegand, Laura K. Wiegandl at UNCW.EDU
Mon May 12 12:11:00 EDT 2014

Thanks to everyone who replied, very helpful stuff, give me a lot of ideas/perspectives to work with.

Laura K. Wiegand
Coordinator of Discovery Services
William M. Randall Library<http://library.uncw.edu/>
University of North Carolina Wilmington
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5616

wiegandl at uncw.edu
Phone: (910) 962-3680

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Hess, M. Ryan
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 1:10 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Libguides and UX

Great topic...really gets to the core issue with online librarianship...librarians are not formally trained (usually) in UX and yet nearly everything we do is online nowadays.

We've been fortunate at my institution because we had early buy in from the librarians that standards and best practices are important. Rarely have our audits met with resistance as I think we did/do a good job of pointing people to the research on LibGuides and overall usability studies.

That all said, we have run into a major problem where we took our initial content management success and let it get ahead of us, moving (currently over 50%) of our website into LibGuides since our current CMS is broken and its replacement has been slow in arriving. So, to others, if you have choices, I don't recommend LibGuides as a web CMS, even though you can do it, since for the reasons stated below, there are no robust built-in controls for regulating the architecture, no version history and rollbacks and other key things a CMS should give you.

We have one particular place in our LibGuides that is used for a section of our website that is a case study in all of these issues, which we're having to completely overhaul just a few months after publishing it. So things can degrade quickly.

Anyway, like I said, my colleagues have a good shared understanding of the value of solid UX and standards, so we do pretty well  despite the "wild west" potential of LibGuides. So it can be done...

M Ryan Hess
Web Services Coordinator
DePaul University
JTR 303-C, DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, 2350 N Kenmore Ave., Chicago IL 60614
office: 773-325-7829 | cell:  650-224-7279 |  fax: 773-325-2297  | mhess8 at depaul.edu<https://outlook.depaul.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>