Email 2 Step Authentication - No Mobile Phone Issue

Bob Stromberg bob.stromberg at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 5 11:50:23 EDT 2014

Hi,
I found a library web site (the Colorado Virtual Library) that describes
how to set up a first Gmail account, written with (to me) clear, complete
instructions.

http://coloradovirtuallibrary.org/content/setting-your-first-email-account-gmail

Points to ponder:

-- For the first and last name fields, you don't need your first and last
names. You can enter your initials, or a two-word nickname. BUT other
people receiving emails from you  might not recognize who you are when they
receive emails from someone named B S. <grin>

-- You don't want your email address to be recognizably you. Don't use your
name or nickname as all or a portion of your email address. (In other
words, do as I say, not as I do.)

-- Also, some folks might prefer to "spoof' their birth date, entering an
alternate that still represents their age group correctly (they don't want
ads for people outside of their age range). Don't forget what you enter
here!

-- When assisting someone with this task, I recommend sending and receiving
a "test" email right then and there. The proof is in the pudding!

-- I also recommend signing out and signing back in immediately. It's a
good habit to sign out when you're done, and it's good to practice the new
password. "Be kind to yourself. Do it again later today."

Bob Stromberg
Round Lake, NY

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Pruntel,Alison <
Alison.Pruntel at fauquiercounty.gov> wrote:

> *Alison Pruntel*
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Fauquier County Public Library