Annual Year in Review Issue of Information Standards Quarterly Available on NISO website in open access

Cynthia Hodgson chodgson at NISO.ORG
Thu Mar 27 15:19:17 EDT 2014

The Spring 2014 issue of the National Information Standard Organization's
Information Standards Quarterly magazine-providing a summary of the 2013
standards development work conducted by NISO and by the international ISO
Information and Documentation committee (TC46)-has been published in open
access on the NISO website. NISO provides this Year in Review issue on an
annual basis to keep readers apprised of all the accomplishments of our
community in the past year.

"NISO's standards and recommended practices development pipeline has more
than 20 active projects," states Nettie Lagace, NISO's Associate Director
for Programs. "In 2013, we published two new standards, four recommended
practices, and a new technical report. We also issued drafts for public
comment of one standard and two recommended practices. Four new projects
were launched, two of them funded with grants from the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. These are all described in
more detail in this issue of ISQ."

"NISO's role as the U.S. Administrator for the ISO TC46 Committee on
Information and Documentation and the Secretariat for the subcommittee on
Identification and Description ensures that our community has an active role
in international standards development as well," explains Cynthia Hodgson,
ISQ Managing Editor and a consultant for NISO who helps manage the ISO work.
"The work of TC 46 and its five subcommittees during the past year
-including the newly revised SC on Document Storage and Conditions for
Preservation-is summarized in this issue of ISQ. Additionally, in May 2014,
NISO will be hosting, on behalf of ANSI, the annual meeting week of TC46-the
first meeting in the U.S. in ten years. A two-page spread in the issue
highlights this meeting and its sponsors."

"We also are celebrating this summer the 75th anniversary of NISO's
founding," states Todd Carpenter, NISO's Executive Director. "The leaders in
the library community who came together back in 1939 were visionaries who
saw the need for our community to collaboratively solve issues through
standards development. In 2009 for our 70th anniversary, we published a
timeline of NISO's milestones since its 1939 founding; for this issue of ISQ
we have updated the timeline with milestones over the past five years. NISO
and its community of volunteers have much to be proud of, as this issue of
ISQ clearly illustrates."

The Spring issue also contains the annual reference listing of all of NISO's
published standards, recommended practices, and technical reports.
Information Standards Quarterly is available electronically in open access
from the NISO website at: www.niso.org/publications/isq/. ISQ is also
available in print format by subscription or in print on demand.

Cynthia Hodgson

ISQ Managing Editor

National Information Standards Organization

chodgson at niso.org

301-654-2512

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2014-03-27