links to mixed-content pages in Blackboard tabs?

Lisa Rabey academichussy at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 25 15:26:44 EDT 2014

As a personal user of Bb since 2008ish at another institution, I know
links, especially those that are https or going through a proxy, have
never ever played well with Bb.

This is the word from my current institutional IT department:

"Lisa,
 We are aware that this is an issue with Chrome.
 There are many issues with the Library "tab" as it was originally set up.
 Opening a webpage from the Blackboard frame from the top tab is
problematic as it causes problems opening pages, and in the case of
the library, even if the page does open, the use of the databases
poses other issues as they do not always load correctly from within
the Blackboard frame.

 We are testing alternative ways to open the library database index
page to get around these issues, such as making the link be available
from a "Quick Links" menu on the page. This allows for the page to
open in a second tab or window.
 Ultimately, the way Blackboard is constructed, the use of the top
frame tabs to open other web pages is not advisable and will always
cause problems."

My workaround for every class I have ever taught was to have students
use Bb in one tab, the library in another. They can use the browser of
their choice, they can keep tabs on what they need in Bb with what
they are searching. Problem mostly solved.

Also, Bb can die by the casting of a 1000 flaming suns but you know,
that's a given.

-lisa

--

Lisa M. Rabey | @pnkrcklibrarian