Tracking Laptops

Jacqueline Radebaugh radebaugh_jacqueline at COLUMBUSSTATE.EDU
Mon Jul 28 10:27:53 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

My institution is opening a new cafe in the library.  There will be two
doors for the cafe that are open to the public:  one that provides access
from the outside and one that provides access from the inside of the
library.  Because of this, students will be able to take the library's
laptops (we loan them out to students to use) outside of the cafe.

We secure the laptops with magnetic strips.  Although this is a good
solution, we do not think that we will be able to have someone in the cafe
to monitor what comes and goes from it.

We worry that once outside, we will not be able to manage access to the
laptops.  We were thinking about using GPS Tracker devices to help us to
track the laptops.  However, they are too large and expensive.

Do you have any ideas about what we should do?  Is there a lightweight
solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best wishes,

Jackie Radebaugh