Interactive content for digital signage

Terrell, Trey Trey.Terrell at OREGONSTATE.EDU
Fri Jul 18 11:19:42 EDT 2014

I actually have some quantitative data for this one! We have an
interactive kiosk set up in the front of our library
(http://touchkiosk.library.oregonstate.edu) which has a number of buttons
for study room reservation, maps, computer availability, staff directory,
class schedule, and hours. It uses custom google analytics events to track
the length of viewing of a specific ³pane² as well as how many times a
pane is selected. Since it was launched (April 2013) the numbers look like
this (% is number of times picked/total picks and seconds is average
viewing time):

Room Reservation: 40.22% - 75.65 seconds
Maps: 20.40% - 47.19 seconds
Computer Availability: 13.36% - 15.21 seconds
Directory: 9.88% - 55.85 seconds
Classroom Schedule: 8.07% - 14.04 seconds
Hours: 8.07% - 35.82 seconds

A note about the times - the panes time out automatically after 60 seconds
unless interacted with or switched away. So if it¹s above 60 seconds they
interacted past the timeout period, if not then they¹re clicking away most
of the time. I should also say that the numbers are likely skewed based on
how interactive a pane is - patrons seem to interact longer with the more
³fun² ones like room reservation, directory, and hours.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a note,

Trey Terrell
Programmer Analyst
trey.terrell at oregonstate.edu
Oregon State University Libraries