best questionnaires for user interface usability evaluation

Cockerill, Alan alan.cockerill at JCU.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 29 18:56:49 EST 2014

I'm a fan of Steve Krug's approach
http://www.sensible.com/

and his two books

Don't Make Me Think
&
Rocket Surgery Made Easy

He doesn't have a default set of questions but builds them after site owners 'distill' exactly what it is they think are the most important things a user should be able to do. From these he sets ups some scenarios to see how easily users can do them.  The sessions are recorded and/or narrowcasted live to business owners so they can see what it's actually like using the site through a user's eyes.  His methodology removes the blinkers of the experts who work constantly with the site - and removes personal biases and neverending arguments in the design team because the users'  voice (through their actual experience) is the deciding vote.

The process is iterative, so you can keep refining certain key user experiences, or work your way down the list of priorities.

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
James Cook University

PO Box 6811