NISO February 12 Webinar: We Know it When We See It: Managing "Works" Metadata

Cynthia Hodgson chodgson at NISO.ORG
Wed Jan 29 14:49:50 EST 2014

Register now for NISO's February educational webinar.

Webinar: We Know it When We See It: Managing "Works" Metadata
Date: February 12, 2014
Time: 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Eastern
Event webpage:
http://www.niso.org/news/events/2014/webinars/managing_metadata/

ABOUT THE WEBINAR

In the new models for describing information resources (FRBR, RDA,
BIBFRAME), the conceptual essence of an item-referred to as a "Work"-is
separated from the specific manifestations of the item-referred to as
"Instances" or "Expressions". The work "Macbeth by Shakespeare" could have
multiple forms or versions and exist in a variety of media, from a print
copy of the play to a DVD of a live performance. Of equal importance in the
new models is describing the relationship between a Work and its various
Instances/Expressions. This represents an entirely different way of thinking
about resource description for libraries and users.

While the new models are still in the early days of implementation, a number
of efforts are already underway to describe resources using these new
concepts and relationships. This webinar will explore how metadata
descriptive systems are developing around the new notion of "Works".

TOPICS & SPEAKERS

.         The Use and Designation of "Works" in GOKb - Kristin Antelman,
Associate Director for the Digital Library, North Carolina State University

.         RDA's Impact on Library Technical and Public Services - Magda
El-Sherbini, Associate Professor and Head, Collection Description and Access
Department, Ohio State University Libraries

.         Works as a Collection of "Rights" about a Content Object - Godfrey
Rust, Principal Data Architect for Ontologyx, Rightscom

REGISTRATION

Registration is per site (access for one computer) and closes at 12:00 pm
Eastern on February 12, 2014 (the day of the webinar). Discounts are
available for NISO and NASIG members and students. NISO Library Standards
Alliance (LSA) members receive one free connection as part of membership and
do not need to register. (The LSA member webinar contact will automatically
receive the login information. Members are listed here:
http://www.niso.org/about/roster/#library_standards_alliance
<http://www.niso.org/about/roster/%23library_standards_alliance> . If you
would like to become an LSA member and receive the entire year's webinars as
part of membership, information on joining is listed here:
http://www.niso.org/about/join/alliance/) All webinar registrants and LSA
webinar contacts receive access to the recorded version for one year.

Visit the event webpage to register and for more information:
http://www.niso.org/news/events/2014/webinars/managing_metadata/

Cynthia Hodgson

Technical Editor / Consultant

National Information Standards Organization

chodgson at niso.org

301-654-2512

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2014-01-29