Wireless upgrade project

Cab Vinton bibliwho at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 12 13:27:55 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Cary Gordon <listuser at chillco.com> wrote:
> You might want to share some info on your library, as the specifics of an
> RFP will differ depending on size, layout, audience and number of locations
> among other factors.

Thank you, Cary. We're a single-building, one-story library, about
15,000 sq. ft. Our patrons for the most part are online to check
email, surf da web, etc. To date, I don't think we've had problems
with major bandwidth hogs -- but I think we should be prepared for
this, so I appreciate the suggestion to consider data limits.

> Logging is something that you want to consider carefully. You should specify
> (and do) as little as possible.

Our logging goals are to have the ability to track the number &
duration of sessions for a given time-frame. Information about device
types & bandwidth use would be nice, but is not essential.

> There are several questions surrounding portals that you and/or your town’s
> legal department need to address. Will you want users to:
>
> Log in? Using their barcodes and a password?
> Sign off on terms & conditions?
> Have a time limit?
> Have a bandwidth or data transfer limit?
>
> These all involve hardware and/or software infrastructure, and could be
> expensive to change once the system is installed.

All great suggestions -- thank you again!

Best,

Cab Vinton
Plaistow PL