Wordpress Hosting

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Wed Dec 3 12:42:08 EST 2014

Heya MRH,

To feel satisfied with either managed or shared hosting, I think you need the following criteria:

·         You, or no one available to you, can or is willing to install WordPress manually [the “5 minute install”]

·         Your website will probably not be in danger of having high simultaneous traffic

·         You are not concerned with having 100% control over your site.

Managed hosting is for many a huge convenience, but it is often at the cost at being able to make certain decisions – even so far as which plugins you can use. You can still build or commission custom themes, but certain functionality that is available to other plans will not be available to you for reasons of security or load. If you’re cool with this, then Yahtzee. The managed hosts aren’t out there to screw you, they’re making educated decisions, but if these kind of decisions will ever get in the way of your vision for your website, then MWP isn’t right for you.

Shared hosting just gets bottlenecked with traffic. So with proper caching, a well designed site, and moderate traffic, you’ll be just fine. If you ever hope to land on the front page of reddit or you want to use your shared host to disseminate podcasts, you’ll want a better plan.

As for hosts, everyone has a nitpick, but the web is my moneymaker and I have been happy with the specs and customer service of Media Temple. They were acquired by GoDaddy awhile ago, but any fears about that corrupting the awesomeness of Media Temple aren’t founded.

As for Omeka? Anything that can host Omeka can host WordPress. Omeka is really simple to install manually, just as WordPress. I often suggest people avoid the one-click installs anyway, so whether Omeka is present in your eventual host’s arsenal shouldn’t determine your choice of host. Choose a host that has excellent specs and excellent customer service.

If you have more WP questions, there’s a WordPress Librarians FB group, too.

Have a good one!

Michael
@schoeyfield
www.libux.co