Wordpress Hosting

Hess, M. Ryan MHESS8 at DEPAUL.EDU
Wed Dec 3 11:29:42 EST 2014

Hi all,

We’re about to put in an RFP for launching an external Wordpress site for our blog. I’m curious to hear from some seasoned folks who’ve done this out there what level of hosting you use and what experiences you’ve had with your vendors.

While we’re at it, we also think finding a host that has some experience with Omeka would be a plus. We currently use Blue Host for some prototyping and emergency band-aid projects…but they don’t include Omeka in their list of one-click installs and when we launched our own test of Omeka and Neatline, their support was really unaware of the platform and not especially helpful in getting around some initial issues.

Anyway, some questions for you all:

  *   For your Wordpress instances, do you use a Managed Wordpress service? Or does the simple web hosting (ala shared hosting, etc.) do the trick just fine.
  *   What recommended vendors for Managed Hosting or Shared Hosting would you give us?
  *   Any other insights you’d wish you’d known when you set out to launch your own externally hosted Wordpress?

Regards,

M Ryan Hess
Digital Services Coordinator
DePaul University
JTR 303-C, DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, 2350 N Kenmore Ave., Chicago IL 60614
office: 773-325-7829 | cell:  650-224-7279 |  fax: 773-325-2297  | mhess8 at depaul.edu<https://outlook.depaul.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2014-12-03