Does Greenstone 2.83 automatically add chron tasks?

Christian Pietsch chr.pietsch+web4lib at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 03:11:57 EDT 2014

Hi John,

I have not used Greenstone before, but it is possible that software
packages add cron jobs, e.g. as a post-install script that is run
automatically.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 03:35:46PM +0100, John Fitzgibbon wrote:
> We are running Greenstone 2.83 on Ubuntu. Every Sunday Apache 2 turns itself off. The word SIGTERM appears at the end of the error log. I believe this is the terminate signal for Apache. Every Monday, I restart Apache 2 and everything is fine.
>
> I suspect there is a chron task responsible for this. There are three weekly chron tasks which I did not add and I am not sure what they do. They are 'placeholder', 'cvs' and 'smsclient'. Were they added during the installation of Greenstone?

This does sound like a cron job, but you may not have found all of
them. Unfortunately, there are many places to consider ...

Cron jobs of user root:
$ sudo crontab -l
$ cat /etc/crontab  # and look there for more directories, e.g.:
$ ls -la /etc/cron.daily/
$ ls -la /etc/cron.weekly/
$ ls -la /etc/cron.monthly/
$ ls -la /etc/cron.d/

Cron jobs of user www-data (who runs Apache on Debian/Ubuntu):
$ sudo crontab -u www-data -l

There might me more cron jobs below /var/spool/cron, e.g.:
$ sudo ls -la /var/spool/cron/crontabs/

It's a mess, I know!
Cheers
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch · http://purl.org/net/pietsch
  LibTec · Library Technology and Knowledge Management