Recommendations for New Networking Admin?

Michael Murphy mmurph78 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 3 15:50:09 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I am an IT librarian at a medium sized public library (66,000 items) that
is seriously considering moving to a free-standing model. Currently, we are
a member of a large consortium which provides virtually all of our
networking services (among other things!), therefore, converting over to a
stand-alone library is a huge change. As the IT librarian, I will be
overseeing this conversion and all the subsequent networking for the
library. Although I am not nervous about it (I’m rather excited actually),
I want to be absolutely certain that I am not providing an inferior service
riddled with security issues. Therefore, although I am doing some research
on my own, I thought I would ask for any recommendations and/or information
that anyone might be willing to provide, particularly in regards to
security measures or anyone who has had a similar experience and has an
idea of what I can expect. I hope this request isn’t too broad. ANY INFO at
all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-09-03