Makerspaces in libraries survey

Lawrence, Dan Lawrence_D at CDE.STATE.CO.US
Tue Oct 8 14:10:17 EDT 2013

Hi John, I'd like to point you to some resources coming out of the Colorado State Library.

FYI, we recently launched a website for librarians called Library Creation & Learning Centers : http://create.coloradovirtuallibrary.org/

"The Create mailing list is a place to share ideas, information, resources and questions regarding creation and makerspaces in libraries. The primary purpose of this list is to offer the opportunity for communication and support for library staff interested or involved in creation/makerspaces."

There's currently almost 250 subscribers.

Best,
-Dan

Dan Lawrence | Director, Networking and Resource Sharing |  State Library |  Colorado Department of Education | 201 E. Colfax Ave., Room 309, Denver, CO  80203| tel 303.866.6907 | cell 720.484.1936 | Lawrence_D at cde.state.co.us<mailto:Lawrence_D at cde.state.co.us> | ColoradoStateLibrary.org<http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/> |

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Burke, John
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:02 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Makerspaces in libraries survey

For a book that I am writing on makerspaces in libraries, I am curious to learn more about libraries that have a makerspace, fab lab, or hackerspace.  These spaces are areas in a library where patrons can use tools and equipment to imagine, design, build, and create all sorts of different things.

I'm trying to get a sense of what types of making are happening in various library settings.  If you have a makerspace or are planning to launch one, I would appreciate you taking a few minutes to fill out my survey at http://tinyurl.com/librarymakerspaces

It should take about five minutes to complete (depending on how much you'd like to share).

The results of the survey will be shared with this list soon after the survey closes, with a more involved analysis available once the book is published. I am eager to learn more about makerspace implementations, and to share that information with you.

Please complete the survey before October 22.  Thanks so much for your participation!

John

John J. Burke, MSLS

Director, Gardner-Harvey Library

Miami University Middletown