Federal government shutdown: keeping track?

Karen Merguerian nls2 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 1 16:28:24 EDT 2013

As a followup, here's what we've noticed about government research information: while a few sites are completely down, often the home page has the closure notice or a banner about limited support and updating, but the site information and subsidiary sites remain available.  Those are noted below as "limited."

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry: limited
Agricola: down
Bureau of Economic Analysis: down
Bureau of Justice Statistics: available
Bureau of Labor Statistics: limited
Census (and FedStats): down
Data.gov: down
EDGAR: available
ERIC: down
fdSys: limited
Federal Election Commission: limited
Library of Congress: limited (thomas.gov and beta.congress.gov available)
MedlinePlus: limited
National Archives and Records Administration: limited
NCJRS: available
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency: limited
Pubmed: limited
RegInfo: available

As far as backoffice functions are concerned, what my colleagues tell me is:

no ordering of ILL documents from National Library of Medicine
no availability of LC Authorities
no access to e-verify to check immigration status for hiring

Our Associate Dean did a general blog post at http://www.lib.neu.edu/snippets just to let our stakeholders and users know some of the ways we are affected.

HTH,

Karen Merguerian
(Northeastern University, Boston MA)