Access to Non-Discovery Databases

Stokes Lauren P. stokesl at LVCCLD.ORG
Tue Nov 5 18:02:30 EST 2013

I use a blog - The Librarian's Brain - http://librarianbrain.wordpress.com/ for databases. I started this in 2008, to promote our databases. What's neat about it, posts show up in a Google search.  We also have one for downloadable content - eRead Me Vegas http://www.readmevegas.blogspot.com/

We also promote these blog posts on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LVCCLDLibrary?sk=wall and Twitter account https://twitter.com/lvccld. They are automatically feed to the social media tools via the blog.

Last year I also started using LibGuides - http://hottopics.lvccld.org which replaced a home grown system which was not very flexible. This allows for more discovery via Google as well.

We use to have a Discovery tool (WebFeat) but discounted it and have not added one back.

Lauren Stokes, Virtual Library Manager
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
7060 W. Windmill Ln.
Las Vegas, NV 89113
702.507.6302

eBooks & eAudio available at http://ebooks.lvccld.org<http://ebooks.lvccld.org/>
eRead Me Vegas at http://www.readmevegas.blogspot.com/
Free Music every week to keep! At http://www.freegalmusic.com/users/idlogin

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Ferdman, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:29 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Access to Non-Discovery Databases

How do you advertise and provide access to licensed content that your discovery service does not currently include?

Do you post a notice near the discovery search window containing that information, along with a link to a separate databases page?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Glenn

Glenn Ferdman, MLS
Director of Library Services