hosting options

George, Christina Rose georgecr at UMSYSTEM.EDU
Wed Jun 26 16:18:52 EDT 2013

I use DreamHost for personal projects and have been quite pleased. Their customer support is excellent.  I haven’t had any major issues and the few minor ones were resolved quickly. I don’t know if this applies, but DreamHost offers free hosting for 501(c)(3) organizations: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Non-profit_Discount

Christina

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael Schofield
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:13 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] hosting options

I guess I’ll chime in,

I’m still personally with GoDaddy and honestly haven’t had an issue, but I understand the complaints. I actually have access to my mysql config file, but I don’t know if that means / says anything – maybe we just had different options! Mostly, I’m with GoDaddy because it’s dirt cheap.

Professionally and, ah, semi-professionally as a freelancer, I tend to lean toward Media Temple. They have a reputation for being particularly friendly to webby customers, users that need to tweak a lot or otherwise do more than the ordinary.

Michael
A front-end librarian