creating watermarks for photos

Tom Cramer tcramer at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Jul 27 22:18:46 EDT 2013

Roy,

Actually Gallica presents images with a kind of watermark--it's essentially a metadata subtitle that marks the source as gallica / BnF. Note that they don't alter the image itself--but dynamically generate an attribution line underneath the image that gets incorporated into their JPEG2000 / JPEG images (essentially adding pixels to the bottom).

See http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b69267651.r=san+francisco.langEN

I share your concern that libraries (nor museums nor archives) not degrade their resources as a means to monopolizing access to them--why put them on the web if you don't want people to view & use them? But I also know that we work with plenty of donors and partners who are not yet ready to embrace open and unencumbered access to their materials. I hope we'll get there. But until we do, personally I think the BnF's approach is an elegant compromise between preserving the integrity of the asset while tagging it with its provenance.

- Tom

2013-07-27