Cites & Insights 13:9 (September 2013) available

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 16 12:55:36 EDT 2013

*Cites & Insights* 13:9 (September
2013)<http://citesandinsights.info/civ13i9.pdf>is now available for
downloading at the Cites
& Insights homepage <http://citesandinsights.info/>,
http://citesandinsights.info/.

The early, special issue is 10 pages long. If you're reading online or
doing anything other than printing it out, you're *much* better off
downloading the single-column online
edition<http://citesandinsights.info/civ13i9on.pdf>,
which is 24 pages long, as most of the special issue is a rough draft of a
book chapter that includes graphs and tables, which had to be compressed
(reducing the type size in the tables quite a bit!) to fit into the
narrower columns of the print version.

The issue consists of a single essay (albeit one that includes a draft book
chapter as an example):

*Libraries
$4 to $1: Public Library Benefits and Budgets--Help Needed pp. 1-10*

I've started the followup to *Give Us a Dollar and We'll Give You Back Four
(2012-13<http://www.lulu.com/shop/walt-crawford/give-us-a-dollar-and-well-give-you-back-four-2012-13/paperback/product-20413581.html>
*), and I'm trying to crowdfund inexpensive or free versions of the book
(and presell copies) through an Indiegogo crowdfunding
campaign<http://igg.me/at/4to1/x/3751677>
.

This issue describes the project: Two books (one with libraries by size,
one with libraries by state) combining tables, graphs and commentary to
offer reasonably detailed pictures of countable public library benefits for
FY2011 and how they've changed from 2009 to 2011, and *A Library Is..*., a
collection of public library slogans and mottoes.

In addition to describing the project, why I'm trying crowdfunding, what
happens if the campaign does (or doesn't) succeed and how this relates to
existing books, I provide a *rough-draft* sample of what the book will
include--Chapter 3, covering libraries with fewer than 1,000 potential
patrons [more than one-ninth of America's public libraries and systems].

The campaign runs through mid-August. This *is* the September 2013 C&I:
There won't be another one for at least six weeks and probably more.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-07-16