Omeka

Karen Miller kamiller at WILMETTELIBRARY.INFO
Tue Jan 15 17:54:24 EST 2013

I'd like to make a plug for an alternative approach for smaller libraries or historical societies without an IT department to help them along.  Wilmette Public Library in Wilmette, Illinois, has been using the software developed by OurDigitalWorld in Ontario for over ten years.  The current tool is called VitaToolKit.  I find it very flexible and easy to use.  ODW hosts our site and provides excellent tech support.   VITA is cloud based, standards-based, has an exhibit module and subcollection capabilities, and allows user comments and other interaction; VITA is designed to display multi-media and digitized newspaper collections and can accommodate complex compound objects like scrapbooks, newspapers, etc. as well as streaming audio and video.  It also allows for varying security levels so your library can make good use of volunteers.  They can work from home with appropriate logins and passwords, or take their iPads or laptops into the field to document gravestones in cemeteries. Take a look at our site at http://history.wilmettelibrary.info. The price for a subscription is based on the size of your database rather than the size of your budget...very refreshing.